In February 2017 Dominante recorded music for a new album in the Riihimäki garrison church. The record Virtaa consists of pieces commissioned and premiered by Dominante during the past decade. The record also includes the monumental “Meren virsi” by Toivo Kuula, which was recorded together with Dominante’s former singers.
The album was recorded and produced by German Christian Starke, who also recorded and produced the choir’s previous record (Joulun tähden 2013).
Dominante’s Joulun tähden record features traditional Christmas songs both from Finland and elsewhere in Europe. The songs are mostly in their original form but there are a couple of new arrangements in the mix as well.
The record was produced and recorded in January 2013 by German Christian Starke. Along with Dominante, Finnish musical professionals such as the solo piccoloist of the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra – Hanna-Kaarina Heikinheimo – and organist Olli Pyylampi, are heard on the record. Lyrical baritone Elja Puukko and harpist Saara Rautio make an excellent addition to this recording full of Christmas atmosphere.
Dominante was honoured to take part in BIS record label’s long-lasting project of recording Jean Sibelius’ complete works. Dominante recorded a variety of Sibelius’ choral compositions, both a cappella and accompanied by an orchestra. Even some of Sibelius’ student works were found from universities’ archives and rehearsed. Among them were many forgotten rarities. A representative selection of Dominante’s grand effort was compiled to this separately published album. Monica Groop, Jorma Hynninen, Folke Gräsbeck and Harri Viitanen appear on the record along Dominante choir.
By Dominante Choir; Monica Groop; Jorma Hynninen; Seppo Murto. By Jean Sibelius (1865–1957). Listening CD. Published by BIS Records (NX.BIS-1889).
Finnish music of love and affection. Three commissioned pieces are recorded on this album, together with pieces that touch on the everlasting theme of a relationship between two people.
The record is produced by Titta Lampela and recorded by Mika Koivusalo. It was published in 2008 and was chosen as choral record of the year by SULASOL ry and the Finnish Choral Conductors’ Association.
- I Am The Great Sun (comp. Jussi Cydenius, 2005)
- Four Shakespeare Songs (comp. Jaakko Mäntyjärvi, 1984)
- Rakastava (comp. Jean Sibelius, 1898)
- Villancicos (comp. Jaakko Mäntyjärvi, 2005)
- Keskustelu (Gespräch) (comp. Riikka Talvitie, 2005)
- Inkerin illat (comp. Veljo Tormis, 1979)
This record features gems of Finnish Romantic choral music. The works are mainly from the National Romantic period (late 19th c. onwards), along with pieces from later in the 20th century. The album was recorded by Mika Koivusalo and produced by Tuuli Lindeberg. The record was published in 2002.
Dominante’s Christmas album Riemuitkaa contains familiar as well as less heard Christmas songs featured in the choir’s repertoire between the 1980s and the early 1990s. The main piece of the record is the Gaudete-suite by Anders Öhrwall, which was originally composed for the Swedish Youth Radio choir. It’s based on the popular Christmas-themed songs found in the collection Piae Cantiones. The album was recorded in January 1993 by Bertil Alving.
- Paimenhuilun joululaulu (comp., lyrics J. Rutter)
- Joululaulu / Arkihuolesi kaikki heitä (comp. L. Madetoja, lyrics A. Noponen)
- Joulun kellot (comp. A. Maasalo, lyrics H. Auvinen)
- En etsi valtaa, loistoa (comp. J. Sibelius, lyrics Z. Topelius)
- Nyt syttyy valot tuhannet (comp., lyrics E. Köhler)
- Joululaulu / Jeesuslapsi suloinen (comp. I. Hannikainen, lyrics E. Sormunen)
- Tuikkikaa, oi joulun tähtöset (comp. P. J. Hannikainen, lyrics E. Koponen)
- Helkähdellen, iloiten (comp. P.J. Hannikainen, lyrics E. Koponen)
- Jouluhymni / Rauhaa, vain rauhaa (comp. A. Sonninen, lyrics U. Haarnoja)
- Kaikuu laulu enkelkuoron (comp. F. Mendelssohn, lyrics C. Wesley et al.)
- Kun joulu valkeneepi (comp., lyrics trad.)
- Keskitalvi synkkä (comp. G. Holst, lyrics C. Rosetti)
- Toivioretkellä / Maa on niin kaunis (comp. trad., lyrics B.S. Ingemann)
- I Gaudete (Riemuitkaa)
- II Sinfonia
- III In dulci jubilo (Nyt ilo virttä veisaten)
- IV Oi ruusu Iisain juuren
- V Sana tuli lihaksi (Verbum caro factum est)
- VI Gloria in excelsis deo (Kunnia Jumalalle korkeuksissa)
- VII Nyt ilon päivä verraton (Dies novum gaudium)
- VIII Ihme suuri, taivainen (Ecce novum gaudium)
- X Kaikki kansat riemuitkaa (Resonet in laudibus)
Raudan kirous consists of music from Finland and its neighbouring areas from the end of the last century. The record features several pieces from Nordic composers, commissioned by Dominante for its 20th anniversary in 1995, along with other modern monumental pieces. The striking signature piece “Raudan kirous” by Veljo Tormis has stayed in Dominante’s repertoire to this day and it has impressed audiences over the world. Raudan kirous was chosen as Finnish Choral Conductors’ Association’s choral record of the year.
- Lähtö (comp. Rautavaara)
- Morsian (comp. Rautavaara)
- Suite de Lorca (comp. Rautavaara)
- Uni, Uneksi… (comp. Länsiö)
- Suomen hakemus EY:n jäseneksi (comp. Länsiö)
- The Beaufort Scale (comp. Sallinen)
- Three Romances (comp. Kortekangas)
- The Tomb at Akr Caar (comp. Johansson)
- Triumpf att finnas till… (comp. Holten)
- Raua Needmine (comp. Tormis)
- Virtaa (2017) – Purchase album
- Joulun tähden (2013) – Spotify | Purchase album
- Sibelius: Saarella palaa — Fire on the Island (2012) – Spotify | Purchase album
- Lempeä (2008) – Purchase album
- Sibelius: Spirit of Nature (2006) – Spotify
- Sibelius: Song of the Earth (2005) – Spotify
- Pacius: Die Loreley (2003) – Spotify
- Haaveet (2002) – Spotify | Purchase album
- Tupsahdus (2002)
- Melartin: Aino (2002) – Spotify
- Polifoniaa (ei myynnissä) (1999)
- Puun aika (ei myynnissä) (1997)
- Raudan kirous (1996)
- Riemuitkaa! — joululevy (1993)
- Det Sjungande Trädet (1992) – Spotify
- Teemu Teekkari (1989)
- Laudatio Domini (1988)
- Viimeiselle — To the Last Living Being (1987) Aarre Merikannon (1893–1958) kuoroteoksia
- Vihreää minä rakastan (1985)
- Joulu (1984)
- Auringon noustessa (1982)